Tuesday, September 7, 2010

cooped up and Home Alone

Wednesday, September 8
9:30 am
    Phil Collins and I have arrived to school about an hour early today.  It's stinkin' hot but the rain definitely makes it bearable.  So yesterday's strike was very successful.  I was going crazy being cooped up inside so we did end up taking a walk.  The streets were eerily empty and everything but a few vendors were closed.  It was nice because this is the first time that I have successfully crossed the street without seeing my life flash before my eyes--it was sort of cheating since the strike was for transportation and there was barely anyone out.  I've realized that you pretty much just have to commit once your in the street because turning back around in a panic is 1. more dangerous,  and 2. laughed upon by Indians.  I swear I'm gonna get good at this by the time I leave.  I purchased the best mountain dew of my life and I'm savoring it--yes its lasting till tonight.  To be honest yesterday was not that fun filled because the walk only lasted about 20 minutes and then we went home since I got a little paranoid but I've finally learned to trust my gut so I made us go home.  We ate some eggs which tasted awesome since they were straight from the chicken and didn't have any hormones or anything.  6 eggs = 20 rupees = under 50 cents…woop! Another note on chickens… after purchasing the eggs from the vendor who also had a butchered bloody chicken just chillin on the same table must have seen my face because he started laughing and pointed to the guts and said "you want chicken?"  I think being a vegetarian in India is a great idea.  The market right next to our apartment has such an interesting smell.  The vegetables--anything from eggplant, chives, onions, tomatoes, green beans (or at least look like it), and more---- smelled so fresh and earthy.  Then the thick musty mud/trash combo adds to a whiff of fresh raw meat/blood.  I know I'm being grotesquely graphic (sorry jill lol) but this smell is so pungent and interestingly different from anything Ive ever smelled that I want you to think about it.  In fact Collins and I both discussed the fact that its so different we took some extra whiffs instead of holding our breath. 
    Yesterday amidst our sheer boredom, making milk out of powder and water, eating curried ramen, local cookies, and wiring ourselves on sugary instant coffee and soda, Phil showed the not-so-great-with-Indian-electronics-roomie-duo that the TV in our room does in fact work!  So the three of us chilled out and watched some tube.  Yes, Home Alone was even on! 
    Its sad but Im already excited for lunchtime….I cant wait to try something else new!
    Namaste!

1 comment:

  1. Hey I was mentioned in a post! cool! And eww to goat heads and blood smells lol

    ReplyDelete