Friday, September 10, 2010

Communist Movie Experience

Friday September 10

    While in a previous blog I said that I was feeling that I am fitting in more, I did not mean physically.  I am in fact becoming used to the curious stares of women and men (they have no shame in staring you down), the inquisitive looks from adorable kids of all ages, and parents actually pointing me out to their children.  I just smile and wave…which in some cases I feel makes me look like a nice white lady (because most kids grin wildly and wave back), and in some cases I feel silly (as some adults will just crinkle their foreheads and turn away…some do smile back, sometimes).  Whatever, I'm not letting up, I'm a happy kid.
   
    Last night Collins and I elected to head to the movies to see Avatar 3-D for the first time ever (Im telling you, parallel lives its creepy).  Both of us have been the outcast friend at home whose never experienced this adult Fern Gully film and we were elated to have the opportunity in Calcutta.  Now I will tell you that the movie was phenomenal and I loved it and I will probably quote it in my Facebook now because it was so awesome but I am currently laughing out loud at the overall movie experience.
    It starts off with us struggling to buy the tickets (the fact that most people know English is a bold faced lie) and wandering into the theater to go sit down.  Haha, no. Seats are assigned…and not only are they assigned, but the ones they chose for the no more than 20 crowd are to clump all of us in the upper corners of the theater.   The previews begin…I'm sorry, not the preview…. a video of the national anthem being sung begins and we all stand in respect and listen.  Each movie preview that follows is preceded by a Certification of Advertisement  (a very enlarged photocopy) basically stating that the government of India approves the preview for viewing by the people.  Ok, so this was all a very interesting way to start my Avatar experience.  Once the movie started, and I got used to the musty butt smell of my seat, I sat back and sipped my Mountain Dew, completely captivated by the movie.
    So the part where Nitiri is trying to wake up Jake's avatar because the bulldozers are coming is happening… its intense…I'm clutching my armrests…then POOF! the movie cuts off and the lights switch on.  WHAT!?!? I'm about to throw my soda to the lower depths of the theater where no one is sitting anyways because of our assigned seats…who cut the movie off?!!? Then about 10 little Indian men (pun intended at this point) come up the theater stairs yelling "popcorn popcorn" "smoothie, drink, pepsi" "french fries"…. Colleen and I start cracking up….silly Americans we are.  Anyways after about a minute, I turn to her and say, "I guess if you cant beat 'em, join 'em?"  So we purchased a bag of cheddar popcorn to enhance this exceptional movie experience. The vendor was like "two popcorn?! yes?!"…"no one popcorn"…"two popcorn!"… "one!"…always pushing for more purchases!  Apparently all movies here are stop exactly in the middle of the movie--regardless of the action--to sell concessions…. oy... The movie started where it left off and we finished it (LOVE IT SO MUCH) and staggered out with headaches from staring out our smudged 3-D glasses for 2.5 hours.  We took a 50 cent rickshaw ride home and called it a night.
  

2 comments:

  1. SUMMER!!!!!!! so, sorry i haven't comment on here yet, but me being the bright kid that i am just found it, hahaa. anyways i'm all caught up on you! and it sounds fantastic! i was craking up in the library reading abuot you craking up all by yourself on the way to your place after traveling, hahah. and i'm sorry about the tp situation, food sound awesome, you should bring me some perishable goods back :) (p.s. with jamie and my minds combnined we did finally remember to take the caramel out of the car only about 2 or 3 days late) ...its still good, dont worry. i am happy for your blaussie finding even if its through the tube. i'm going to start squatting on street corners and just say "the indian's do it, summer told me" and then people will walk away from me...im glad you have phil collins, sounds like awesome people that i have to meet in a year or so when you are all back and have a reunion. oh and way to finally see avatar, you are only about a year too late. haha, but it sounds awesome and i am glad that you understand the amazingness that is pandora. i think we can connect to the earth like them if we try hard enough, i think painting ourselves blue would help too, so lets do that sometime. anyways i have to go do more work BOOOOOO! i just took two exams this morning and i have 3 more thsi week. but school is going well, and goegre clinton and the parliment funckadelica played a free should in hampton night before last so that was cool. anyways i love you!!!!!! i'll talk to you soon, we can g chat or skype we'll figure it out, whats the time difference? i promise i will check this more and write back now that i have found it, haha , kbye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah kelly i love you! its 9.5 hour difference so we'll figure it out :) loveee

    ReplyDelete