Sunday, October 3, 2010

Real Innovative Montessori Society

The RIMS school was established a year ago and has about 200 students from ages 2 1/2 to 13.  The teachers speak English (though it is difficult to understand some, and others' is very broken).  There are classes taught in English and Malayalam (local language that is known as one of the most difficult to learn in India) and the students also receive Hindi and Arabic classes.  Management is Muslim, and most of the students are Muslim; however, there are Hindu teachers and students as well.  I was told a couple students are Christian but I have not met them yet.  All around, it is a very welcoming and peaceful atmosphere.  The environment as a whole is very enriching, as Anis Sir expressed that they are trying to provide a space where not only IQ is important, but also EQ (emotional quotient), SQ (spiritual quotient), PQ (physical quotient), etc.  (They have yoga classes and will soon have horseback ridding!)  He has told me so many times that he is thrilled that Colleen and I are here to contribute our knowledge and culture, and hopes that we can all exchange different ideas, and learn from one another.  He is a genuine individual and a great fit as the school's principal as it is evident that he cares so much for the students and well-being of the school.  I must admit, that he is a bit intimidating as he is one of the larger (6'3 I'd say) Indian men I've met, and he dresses in the all white with a little cap Muslim get up (thanks American perception).  All I can say is that I have already had amazing conversations with some teachers, and I am looking forward to working in this peaceful environment, and learning as much as possible about the school, people, religions, and culture.
    On Thursday, school had to leave early because at 3:30 there was a huge court case that was going to decide whether a building was a Muslim Mosque or a Hindu Temple.  Apparently for years it had been a mosque, then it was used as a temple… and now there has been fighting between the two religions as to who the holy building belongs to.  At RIMS, teachers were bustling about and hurrying all the children home.  The only thing they cared about was making sure the children were safe, and didn't care less about the verdict of the case.  I asked several teachers (Hindu and Muslim) about the situation and they kept saying "who cares if its a mosque or a temple? we just want it to be peaceful here."  Depending on the decision of the court, one religious group could get feisty and the possibility of a strike was imminent, this is why the school was let out early.  It turns out, the court decided the holy place would officially serve as both a mosque and temple.  I guess the official decision is what mattered. Anyways, my point is that the management of the school didn't give a rats behind about the determination of religion within some building, but the safety and well being of the students and teachers.
    Let me explain the layout of classes.  There are three montessori classes: M1= 2 1/2 - 3 1/2, M2= 3 1/2 - 4 1/2, M3= 4 1/2 - 5 1/2.  I was not incredibly familiar with this method of teaching before arriving here, I had just heard of it.  The smaller children arrive to their environments and begin work on their own.  Each child rolls out his own mat and retrieves an activity to complete.  For the younger kids the activities involve a lot of buttons, zippers, and tying strings.  There are other 'everyday life' activities--example: a child will get the tea set, fill the pitcher with water, and go to his/her station and use to pitcher to fill the small cups with water to the marked dotted line on the inside of the cup.   There are also a lot of puzzles to identify objects and animals, and lots of number forms to facilitate counting.  I was blown away in visiting each of these environments as these kids are taking out pictures of planes, brushes, ships, etc….and then using foam letters to spell out these things on their mats….and these kids are less than 5!!!! Before they enter into I standard (1st grade) they will already be able to read and write, count, add, subtract, and multiply.  This blows my mind as I remember learning multiplication in 3rd grade, and reading my first (longer than 3 pages book) (Go, Dog, Go) completely by myself in 1st grade.  This montessori stuff is legit and I'm excited to learn more about it.
    After montessori classes there is I standard to VI standard….. standard = grade…. I have been given I standard-B, II Standard, and V Standard classes to teach English.  I am expected to ensure that the students develop proper pronunciation and grammar, as well as communicate effectively with English speakers worldwide.  (right now I have my work cut out for me as pretty much everyone here has a difficult time understanding the American accent…the kids just kind of stare at me with a big '?' dangling over their heads).  I am also going to facilitate co-curricular activities--outdoor sports and crafts, etc.  The kids all keep asking when I get to teach their English class or when I will teach them volleyball :-) 
    Might I just add how precious all of these kids are… I've already found some 'favorites.'  They all come to school in their camel colored uniforms---little girls in frilly tan striped dresses that tie in the back---little boys in khaki pants with a collared white shirt that's stained within the first 30 minutes of school.  Each morning they begin an assembly with a prayer and then salute India with their arms out straight as they sing the national anthem in high pitched, adorably out of tune voices.  The assembly is then followed with Kerala News and Interesting Facts, orated by one of the older girls.  I am officially "Summer ma'am."
    RIMS is under construction right now so the current building is actually an old house.  Next to it they are building a two story building which should be finished and ready to move into within a month (or so they say….it looks like longer to me but ya know… just roll with it).  The real project--which is what you'll see if you visit the website--is under construction some kilometers away, and is expected to be finished within the next 2 years.  Each passing year, they hope to add another standard to the school….next year they will have VII standard, the next VIII, etc.  Anis Sir has already offered Colleen and I a job after our three month internship….hmmmmmmm  ;-)  ….until then I gotta start lesson planning for my first classes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment