Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"turn the page"

Dec 15, Wednesday
6:30  am

    Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am in India--not in the frantic babox moments, nor in the blood pressure raising TII times; but in the breathtaking moments where I inhale the thick spiced air, feel the smooth palm shade breeze against my skin, or look into rising fireball setting upon a silhouetted horizon of palm trees.  It is in these moments that I beam in realization that I am living my dream.   It seems like just yesterday I was in college fidgeting violently at the sheer utterance of leaving the country; and since my graduation one year ago, I have mazed through a labyrinth of twists and turns to end up sitting at this table, staring out at the dawning florescent orb creeping above the Keralan horizon. In high school and college, I had always taken every opportunity to go to Nicaragua to spend as much time outside the American bubble as possible.  I have itched and rambled about my 'epic peace out'--to go somewhere for a long time--to friends and family since the very day in which that travel bug gave me my own pair of wings.  Here I am now, waking up in in a subcontinent halfway around the world, and its real. 
    The past three months at RIMS have been phenomenal.  I have learned infinite amounts about culture, teaching, friendship, children, and myself.  Yesterday after school, the teachers threw a celebration where each individual stood up and told something about her experience with us.  One even sang us a Hindi song that portrayed the idea that "even if you are gone, the memories will stay."  They presented Colleen and I with plaques and watches as gifts.  I could not even begin to express how thankful I am for their hospitality, kindness, patience, and,(yes) curiosity.   It is the curiosity on both sides that bridged the cultural gap between two American women and a team of Indian teachers.  I am forever changed for it. Several of the teachers yesterday even said that their perceptions of Americans have changed to a more positive image of friendly, helpful, and dependable people.  I feel proud to have represented my country positively and honored to say that I worked at this institution.  They truly are a wholesome, passionate bunch of teachers. 
    Not only have I learned from peers at RIMS, but from every child as well.  It blows my mind how one simple thought from a child can sweep me away in a wave of wisdom.  Yesterday first standard Shahezba fell down and skinned her knee.  Another first standard girl and myself led a sniffling Shahezba to the sink to wash her face.  Aneeka, (the most precious pig-tailed 6 year-old) helps splash water on Shahezba's face and knee and tells her, "When you fall down you are growing up.  Don't cry."  Shahezba wobbled her head in a nob, wiped her tears, and they skipped off to play.  I will forever remember these words of wisdom from Aneeka.
    Its about time that I leave for school, on my last day as an official teacher of RIMS.  I will relish every second of today and immerse myself in the typical frenzy of skips, games, and songs. Colleen and I have set the children up with new songs and skits, and passed the baton over to the teachers.  I have my second standard singing "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley, and third standard boys performing my favorite childhood story, "The Grouchy Ladybug."  I know they'll do a spectacular job.  And while I want nothing more than to squeeze each and every child goodbye as I leave campus for the last time,  I truly hope that I can glide past the gate with a smile and wave, and slip into the swirling dust upon the bustling street.
    This is not the end of the story, but the beginning of a new chapter in my life.  In fact, when I read storybooks as a child, I would always instruct my mother when it was time to "turn the page."  So, while it will be excruciating to walk away from the 'Summer mam!"s echoing from those chocolate eyed angels, I will just have to listen to the little blond who remains in the crowd, saying "turn the page, Summer. Turn the page."

No comments:

Post a Comment